Barwell is situated to the north-east of Hinckley in Leicestershire. Barwell occupies a high point on the ridge from Earl Shilton to Hinckley.
The village was first mentioned in the doomsday book as Berryall but was later changed to Barwell.
Barwell was best known for its origins in the boot and shoe trade, and back in 1986, had 11 shoe manufacturers. During the 1970's foreign competition made shoe production uneconomical and within 20 years the industry had collapsed leaving only two shoe companies and the factory buildings to mark the industry's passing.
The village has two churches. In Church Lane a 13th Century church called St Mary's Parish Church, Barwell and Barwell Methodist Church in Chapel Street. The Parish church was built in 1220 and has an interesting board at the back listing all of the rectors beginning with William in 1209 up to the present day.
Schools (as below) include www.barwellceacademy.co.uk